Sunday 17 October 2010

I Will Teach You The Folly Of Your Ways!

Thirty Days of Doctor Who Meme*

Q: What is your favourite classic Doctor Who story?

That's a difficult question there are so many to chose from!

Even the crap ones usually have some redeeming features. Take The Time Monster for example, even that has the charming scene where the Doctor and Jo are locked up facing impeding doom and the Doctor trying to cheer Jo up gives her his "daisiest daisy" speech.



Many stories are perennially popular and frequently top the polls. City of Death and The Caves of Androzani are usually safe bets and they are amongst my favourites too, but I also have a sneaky love for the less well thought of stories. Nightmare of Eden and The Claws of Axos spring to mind. Indeed I think those two serve in many ways to be simultaneously show casing the best and worst of Doctor Who. Both have well written scripts with ambitious ideas and bundles of imagination, well drawn characters and some excellently cast actors in the roles. Unfortunately it also has some very crap actors in the other roles, the budget limitations are evident with wobbly sets and duff special effects and you feel slightly cheesy for enjoying them.

If forced to pick just one story, I think I'd have to plump for my very first Who. After all it's what got me hooked in the first place.

Remembrance of the Daleks, first broadcast in 1988 and featuring the Seventh Doctor and Ace. It is a wonderfully written tale, full of zinging lines, brilliant set pieces and a guest cast to dream for. Set in 1963 the Daleks are a metaphor for racism and never has this been more explicit than when their stooges on Earth really are Nazi sympathisers. It has that magic scene in the cafe and the mystery of the engimatic Doctor and the cute and feisty Ace is the reason all these years later I'm still in love with the show.




* I make no guarentee I'll do one a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment